Robbie Jean Henry
May 1, 1930-February 14, 2011
My Granny and Papa Henry had the sweetest love story I've ever heard, and it ended in the most perfect way.Many years ago, my Papa walked into the Aldridge Coffee shop in his military uniform. He was a tall, dark, and handsome man. He caught sight of a beautiful waitress there, but as he began to talk to her he realized that she was already engaged to someone else - even at the age of 15 1/2. Despite that, it was love at first sight for both of them. He soon began to court her, but he refused to marry her until she was 17 years old. So at midnight, on her 17th birthday they said "I DO" and they never looked back.
My grandparents were the ultimate example of a godly marriage. They both took the Scriptures in Ephesians very seriously... my Papa loved his wife as Christ loved the church, and my Granny loved him above all else and was submissive and supportive of him in everything he did. She waited on him hand-and-foot. Not because he expected it of her, but because she truly found pleasure in pleasing him at all cost. He was such a kind, gentle-hearted, soft-spoken, and wise man. And his wife meant everything to him. Several years ago when my cousin asked him for advice on having a long-lasting, happy marriage, he said, "Put your wife on a pedestal and never take her off." And that he did.
Two-and-a-half years ago my Papa's health took a turn for the worse. My Granny insisted on bringing him home so she could care for him until the end, and she would crawl up in the tiny little hospital bed in their living room and snuggle with him and stroke his hair and face. When he passed away, part of my Granny passed away. She was never the same. She still had a smile on her face and a positive outlook most of the time, but her eyes didn't sparkle quite the same, and her health began declining almost immediately. She fought a long fight with cancer, and then just a few weeks ago we were told that none of the treatments she had been taking were working and that it had spread to her entire body. We weren't sure how long she had, and the last week of her life we were sure that every minute was the last minute. As we stood by her bedside last weekend, my sister, aunt, cousin and I were talking about when we thought she would pass. Although the nurses were telling us she only had minutes left, we all had the feeling that she would wait until Valentine's Day. After all, there was nothing in life she loved more than Christ and her husband. We knew that she would want to reunite with the loves of her life on Valentine's Day... and that's exactly what she did.
It was truly the perfect ending to the most beautiful love story.
The funeral was hard - especially since she was my last living grandparent - but I have to smile knowing that she has a new cancer-free, pain-free body, and that she is sitting at the feet of her Jesus holding hands with her "Bubber". What a precious picture in my mind.
And speaking of pictures, I have to share my favorite picture of my grandparents. I came across this picture as we were looking at old photo albums this last week. Here they are, young and in love...
So, instead of saying, "Goodbye" I'm just going to remember that it's just "See You Later" because I know I will see them again someday...
2 comments:
Very sweet tribute, I love true love stories
I'm so sorry to hear this Tara, but at the same time, what a beautiful story!
Post a Comment