Decorating is not my talent, but I do love to do it. My taste is probably very different than a lot of other people's, but it comes from a desire to house family treasures. In many cases these things would not be treasures to anyone else, but they are to me because they are items passed down from elder generations in my family.
I've been rather sentimental lately due to the upcoming relocation of my mom and step-dad, and this weekend as I looked around my home those emotions only intensified. I realized how much stuff I have that is seemingly worthless to most, but absolutely priceless to me... family treasures.
Old Bible
(My great uncle & aunt
Date in the cover: Dec 24, 1934)

Bowls
(Granny Bea)

White corner cabinet
Made by my grandfather
Handed down to me by my grandmother

Dishes from my Great Aunt Sis

Toothpick holder from my mom

Metal Pitcher
My mom has many fond memories of her mother making ice cold lemonade for her and her siblings and serving it in this pitcher

Old School Books that belonged to my aunts and uncle
Spanish, Zoology & Math books dated in the 1950s

Bed jacket that belonged to my Granny Bea

Hamper given to my mom from my Aunt Fonda who is a missionary in Mexico

Bowls
(Granny Bea)

Sewing Cabinet & Machine from Granny Bea

China Cabinet from Granny Bea

Stacking bowls from Granny Bea

Tea Pitcher
Granny Bea or Aunt Sis???

Granny Bea's red hat

Wooden plate and Mexican bowl
originally gifts to my mother from family friends

Granny Bea's old wing-back chair

Zora's dresser from her namesake
(great-great-grandmother, Zora)

Matching bed and chest of drawers
(great-great-grandmother, Zora)

Poem written about my great-grandmother, Zora (Zora's namesake)
By my grandmother, Lillie Bea (Lily's namesake)
This poem hangs in both of my girls' rooms since both namesake's were entwined

Glass pitcher and musical glass bowl
(Granny Bea)

Old Quilt Box
(Great-grandmother Zora)

Floral Lamp
(Great-grandmother Zora)

Floral Lamp
(Great-grandmother Zora)
1 comment:
What neat mementos!! I love having a house full of memories like that. It makes me feel connected. Beautiful stuff!
Post a Comment