bubble-ology: the study of bubbles!!!
This week we prepared for a science project that we were going to present to our T.I.E. Homeschool group. I searched the internet for a fun science project that I thought she'd be interested in and that would also be educational. I found a GREAT website that every parent should bookmark! It's called Science Buddies and it is a wealth of great science information and some great projects/experiments as well! All you have to do is enter your child's grade level and how much time you will need to complete the project, and then it will ask a series of questions to find your child's interests, then viola! It gives a list of experiments your child will enjoy, with every bit of information you need to successfully complete the project!
So, I found a great one for Zora...bubble-ology...and she loved it!
First we talked about the strength of the water molecule bond and how another agent must be added to water in order to "weaken" or "elasticize" the water molecule bond and produce bubbles. We determined that soap/detergent was the perfect agent. Then, we questioned if some other agent could be added to make even better bubbles.
Our experiment was this:
Jar #1: water only
Jar #2: water + detergent
Jar #3: water + detergent + glycerin
Jar #4: water + detergent + corn syrup
Jar #1: water only
Jar #2: water + detergent
Jar #3: water + detergent + glycerin
Jar #4: water + detergent + corn syrup
We set out to determine which made the best bubble solution! We did this project as a family so we determined our jobs:The next step was to blow bubbles from each solution and catch the bubbles on the wand and then record how long each bubble lasted until in evaporated ("popped").
The results:
Jar #1: water only:
NO BUBBLES
Jar #2: water + detergent:
WEAKEST SOLUTION
Jar #3: water + detergent + glycerin:
STRONGEST SOLUTION

Jar #4: water + detergent + corn syrup:
MEDIUM SOLUTION
(but it had the biggest bubbles!)
Jar #1: water only:
NO BUBBLES
Jar #2: water + detergent:
WEAKEST SOLUTION
Jar #3: water + detergent + glycerin:
STRONGEST SOLUTION
Jar #4: water + detergent + corn syrup:
MEDIUM SOLUTION
Today Zora presented the information to our T.I.E. group. I had to help her present it because her nerves got the best of her, but she did pretty good nonetheless :-)
1 cup water
2 Tbsp dish detergent
1 Tbsp glycerin
2 Tbsp dish detergent
1 Tbsp glycerin
We even made a home-made bubble wand out of a pipe cleaner and it worked great!!!
Happy Bubble Blowing to All!!!
2 comments:
You have great helpers! What great photography skills! And thanks for posting the link to that site again... I know Michael will be thrilled at more experiments :)
Great resource, and what a fun experiment!
Post a Comment