What do you see in the picture below?
It's a matter of perspective.
Life can be the same way. We are all dealt our share of troubles, hardships, and circumstances in life. It's the perspective that we choose that can make the difference. Even the little things in life that are part of our daily routine can affect us either positively or negatively depending on the perspective we take.
Lately I've realized that I need to change my perspective in all areas of life. I often find myself griping and complaining about how things aren't going my way - just being pessimistic - I only see the "witch". I'm not proud of that.
I don't believe that I've always been pessimistic. As a child I always looked for the good, but it seems like now I expect the worst. I'm not sure what reprogrammed my mind over the years - maybe just the realities of life - but I'm praying that God will help me reprogram my mind to what it used to be - a mind of optimism and hope.
The other day I was in one of my "sour" moods and God brought two different scriptures to my mind.
Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will."
Did you get the last part of that verse?!?! If our mind is not renewed and reprogrammed, then we will not be able to discern God's will for our lives! Ouch.
Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
This verse is all about attitude. My attitude is going to be determined by the things I choose to think about. Hmmmm.
Reprogramming the mind and attitude is a hard thing, but I've realized it's all in the perspective I choose in every situation. Here's a few examples of how I'm trying to change my perspective in life...
Old Perspective: It's already time to get out of bed??? (sigh, moan)
New Perspective: Thank you, Lord, for another day of life.
Old : Laundry day...ugh. I've got better things to do.
New: Laundry day... I'm so blessed to have a closet full of clothes and the means to keep them clean.
Old: I just got all the toys picked up and now the house is a mess again!
New: I'm blessed to have two precious children.
Old: Time to clean? I wish I could hire a maid to vacuum, dust, mop, clean the toilets...
New: I'm blessed to even have a house full of things to clean and take care of. I could have been born in an impoverished country or could be facing some tragedy like those in Haiti.
Old: It's already time for me to fix dinner? What in the world am I going to fix?
New: I'm blessed to have food on my table each and every day.
Old: It sure would be nice to move to a nicer neighborhood and get a bigger house.
New: I'm blessed to have a roof over my head with more than I need inside to provide for all our needs.
Old: I'm sick of paying bills.
New: I'm blessed to have conveniences like garbage service, running water, electricity, vehicles, cable TV, phones, internet, a home...
Old: I wish I could just get some more sleep. I'm tired of being so busy.
New: I'm blessed to be healthy and able to enjoy so many opportunities in life.
And here's one that has been around a lot this winter! :-)
Old: NOT MORE SNOW!!! ICK! I HATE BEING COLD!
New: I'm blessed to have shelter, food & heat. And it's actually kind of nice to have the pace of life slow down. Everything is canceled, so there's nowhere to be, no appointments to keep, etc. Just time to enjoy the family!
If I had to pick one word to describe my goal for my new perspective on life it would be BLESSED. If I'm focused on my blessings then I will be less apt to complain about the other things. And honestly, usually when I'm complaining, it is over something minor - things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. So, with God's help I'm going to practice an ATTITUDE of GRATITUDE.
So today I choose to see the fair maiden... what will you choose?
3 comments:
Thank you Tara, I really needed this today!
Laura
thanks for the reminder. I just wrote a blog about the same thing yesterday. I guess God is tring to tell us all the same thing, huh?
We are tremendously blessed. Praying that we will focus on those things. Miss ya!!
Phillipaians 4:8 has been on my mind a lot lately too. I wish we could put it in the water or something (oh! or embedded in super bowl commercials)....a lot of people need to hear it!
Post a Comment