Our Mission Statement

Our Mission Statement
Teach the
heart to love, the mind to learn, and the soul to live - for now and eternity - through Christ-centered education.

11.29.2010

Funny Kids

I have to share some funny things that my kids said this week...

The other night about 10 minutes after we put the girls to bed Joel and I heard wailing coming from Lily's room.  Not just crying, but WAILING.  We rushed in there thinking maybe she had gotten sick or fallen off the bed or something, but when we opened the door and ran to her bed she seemed to be perfectly fine other than the screaming and crying.  So I scooped her up and held her tight and asked her what was wrong. 

Her answer was, "I DON'T WANT TO GROW UP!!!"  

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  It was hilarious and sad to me all at the same time.  I wasn't really sure how to respond because she obviously WILL have to grow up, so I just said, "Well, honey, you don't have to grow up tomorrow or anytime soon.  You've still got a lot of time to be a kid."

Zora also cracked me up recently.  Anyone who is around my children for very long knows that there are A LOT of words that we don't say in our family just because I don't think they are appropriate for our household, especially our children.  I'm not just talking about cursing - even things that aren't kind.  We don't judge others who say those things, we just don't say them in our family.  We try to teach them the great life lesson that "If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all". 

Because of that it's a joke with a lot of our family and friends that they need a list of all the things that our kids aren't allowed to say so that they won't slip up around them.  Well, we had a bunch of the young adults - who don't have children - from our church over to our house to eat.  A few of them "slipped up" with some "foul words".  As usual, they started laughing and one of the guys said, "I need a Summers' Dictionary so I'll know what I can't say."  Zora ran down to the playroom and brought back her actual dictionary that she uses for school.  He laughed and told her that he didn't really need a dictionary, but a list of what he couldn't say.  So she went back to the playroom and made her list (shown here with her spelling)...

stupid
dumb
shut up
da in a sassy way
(this means DUH! with attitude)
holy cow
hate not to peaple
(this means we can't hate people)
carp
(what she meant was crap)
whatever
(this also is said with attitude)

This actually isn't a complete list because there are obviously a lot of other words that aren't kind, but it was a good start and we all got a good laugh :-)

No comments: