I woke up Friday morning with a smile on my face ready for a fun day with the girls. Our plans for the day were to go to playgroup for "Bike & Trike Day", then meet some of our little girlfriends from dance after lunch, and to end the day we were supposed to go to my dad's house for dinner.
Instead, Zora woke up with a tummy ache. Bummer. Should we stay home or will she be okay? Then, Lily wakes up with a tummy ache. Double Bummer. We sit down for breakfast and Zora eats really good, but Lily takes one bite and says no more - not a good sign, right? By now they are both begging me to stay home all day - another red flag! So, I decided to stay home from playgroup and maybe later in the day they would feel better.
Fastforward to 30 minutes later... I'm talking to another playgroup mom to let her know I won't be there and Lily starts puking all over the couch... nice! I hung up the phone, showered Lily, cleaned the couch, and started a load of laundry so that we wouldn't be spreading any of those nasty germs...
Fastforward another 30 minutes... Lily is back on the couch resting with towels and a trash can at her side, and I go to unload the dishwasher. I open the cabinets and I realize that overnight ants have invaded and are on a rampage in my kitchen. Frustrated, I instantly turn into a mass murderer. I'm killing ants like you wouldn't believe and as I'm standing there Lily starts begging for something to drink. I offer her very small sips, and go back to my killing spree. While I'm not paying attention Lily gets her cup and starts chugging it down. What happened next? That's right - puking episode #2. At least this time it's on the tile kitchen floor which is much easier to clean up! So, Lily gets shower #2 for the day and here comes load of puke laundry #2 for the day as well!
Then Joel calls to see how my day is going... poor guy... he got an ear full. Not that any of this was his fault or something that he could change, but he ever-so-sweetly decided to come home to help out a little. He came home with ant killing spray, so I quickly cleaned out all of the cabinets and let him spray them down. While he was doing that I'm running my mouth about how all MY plans for the day went south fast and I'm having a ROYAL PITY PARTY... then Zora humbled me with her life lesson... she very sweetly said,
"Mommy, sometimes life is just hard."
Oh....
Wow...
I now feel about 2 inches tall because my 5-year-old just totally put me in my place and reminded me that life is not always a bed of roses and that sometimes you just have to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
I must say that after that my attitude about the day changed and we ended up having a rather decent weekend. Lily felt much better by that afternoon and I haven't seen a single ant since Joel sprayed. Life isn't so bad after all, huh?
2 comments:
Wow! Kids are so much smarter than we give them credit for, huh?! She's a smart cookie. I forget that lesson as well sometimes. :)
As humbling as it is, we all need to be reminded that life doesn't always go as we would like it. We have the ability to choose how to respond. It's obvious that her heart is being shaped and molded into something beautiful. :)
Post a Comment